b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Vowel Subsitution

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Petr Tomasek <tomasek AT etf.cuni.cz>
  • To: tedbro AT aol.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org, davedonnelly1 AT juno.com
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Vowel Subsitution
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 19:00:34 +0100

On Fri, Jan 01, 2010 at 11:17:27AM -0500, tedbro AT aol.com wrote:
> James:

> In a message dated 12/31/2009 5:25:20 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
> jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com writes:
>
> >> If the default qere is ADONAI is there really any need to vowel point
> YHWH
> with ADONAI vowel pointing?
> "Is there any need...?" does not seem to be a relevant question. There are
> many common words that do not need vocalization marks, and certainly do not
> need to have each and every vowel marked. Nevertheless the text supplies
> them.

You are quite wrong :) In older masoretic manuscripts (mainly with the
palestinian
pointing) only few words are vocalised. And even in the "standard" tiberian
punctuation not everything is written, e.g. the raphe sign is not used
cosistently
(but we find some manuscripts that use raphe in almost every word...)

P.T.

--
Petr Tomasek <http://www.etf.cuni.cz/~tomasek>
Jabber: butrus AT jabbim.cz