b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Vowel Subsitution

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: tedbro AT aol.com
  • To: jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com, davedonnelly1 AT juno.com, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Vowel Subsitution
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 11:17:27 EST

James:

In a message dated 12/31/2009 5:25:20 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com writes:

>> If the default qere is ADONAI is there really any need to vowel point
YHWH
with ADONAI vowel pointing?
"Is there any need...?" does not seem to be a relevant question. There are
many common words that do not need vocalization marks, and certainly do not
need to have each and every vowel marked. Nevertheless the text supplies
them.

Further James wrote:

>> I'm just pointing out the possibilities which seem to be supported by
theophoric
components and a lack of any specific reference in ancient commentaries.
The
issue is therefore far from resolved.

I have not looked at it closely, but from what little I know, theophoric
names such as Jehoash, Jehonatan, etc, seem like a more fertile field to
search for hints of the original pronunciation of YHWH than the adonai /
elohim
ketiv track we have been on.

>> The only thing we can say with any amount of certainty is that the
'reconstruction' YAHWEH is absolute
nonsense.

Further I don't think in our discussions so far that you've attempted to
make the case against the reconstruction YAHWEH. Have I missed something?

As a request, would you be willing to set forth the argument that Yehowih
(pointed simple shva, no holem, hireq) "obviously" represents YHWH with the
vowels of elohim, but that Yehowah (pointed simple shva, no holem, qamatz)
does not represent YHWH with the vowels of adonai?

Regards,
Ted Brownstein