b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] [B-hebrew] Vowel Substitution THIS IS A TEST

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: davedonnelly1 <davedonnelly1 AT juno.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: TedBro AT aol.com
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] [B-hebrew] Vowel Substitution THIS IS A TEST
  • Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 12:27:31 -0500

Hi Ted

In my last post to you I had said:

"Obviously the Masoretes placed the precise same vowels as are found in
Elohiym into YHVH, "

You answered:

"The statement below is simply incorrect.

There are admittedly a few isolated cases where the yod of YHWH is
pointed with compound shva (seghol hateph). But in 99% of qere elohim
cases, the Massoretes give the yod a simple shva.

This is precisely the same supposed lack of precision that exists with
qere adonai. Why is the one significant and the other not? To be
consistent wouldn't we have to say that the Yehowih and Yehowah both
represent real ancient pronunciations of YHWH since neither represents
the exact vowels of the supposed qere? Or conversely that both represent
the vowels of the qere placed on the tetragram?

Peace,
Ted Brownstein"
Ted, at this moment in time I do not believe that any serious discussions
can continue on this issue,
on this discussion board, unless we have references to the six variants
of YHWH in Codex L. in front of us.

We are talking apples and oranges because we do not have an image in
front of us that shows the six variants of YHWH found in the Leningrad
Codex of 1008-1010 A.D. versus the two variants of YHWH found in the
Ben Chayyim Hebrew Text of 1525 A.D.

I think that we might be able to discuss this issue, on a different
Discussion Board that allow images with Hebrew font to be posted in the
text .

I will do a little research on this issue.

My first research occurs immediately below where I attempt to post two
different links on this b-hebrew discussion board, which show the six
variants of YHWH, which are found in Codex L.

2160586/view?picmode=large&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&dir=asc

20961826/view?picmode=large&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&dir=asc

In a message dated 12/31/2009 9:14:47 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,