b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Vowel Subsitution

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: TedBro AT aol.com
  • To: jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Vowel Subsitution
  • Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 19:02:43 EST

James:

I'm continuing to have a difficult time understanding what you are trying
to say. What do you mean by "Obviously there is no real debate of the Elohim
readings"? What is the difference between qere adonai and qere elohim in
the Hebrew text. Why would anyone be convinced that Yehowih is the
tetragrammaton pointed with the vowels of Elohim and not be convinced that
Yehowah
is the tetragrammaton pointed with the vowels of adonai? Isn't the evidence
identical?

Paraphrasing... couldn't we ask:

Did the massoretes who pointed the text put the vowels of elohim under YHWH
while conforming to pointed rules dictated by the yodh of YHWH or are the
similarities just coincidence?

Peace,
Ted Brownstein
Lake Worth, FL

In a message dated 12/29/2009 5:50:25 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,