b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] prosthetic aleph in Ps 22:17?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] prosthetic aleph in Ps 22:17?
  • Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 12:13:25 -0800

Steve:

On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 1:17 PM, Steve Miller <smille10 AT sbcglobal.net>wrote:

> [...]

First of all, this is Hebrew, not Akkadian, hence we should have no
expectation that it has an exact same meaning.

This is a hard verse to translate. Primarily because of differences between
the two languages, that what makes sense in Biblical Hebrew comes out very
awkward in English. Hence this is not an exact word for word translation.

Is it not for this reason that the earth should shudder and all who settle
on it will mourn, that injustice distorts all of it and it is driven out and
made to flow away as Egypt’s Nile?