b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ps 22:18 DSS - was prosthetic aleph in Ps 22:17?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ps 22:18 DSS - was prosthetic aleph in Ps 22:17?
  • Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 18:02:05 -0800

Steve:

Maybe I don’t have the same .pdf file as you have. The one I have is an
article by somebody named Tim Hegg with a high quality picture of part of
Psalm 22:17–18. He claims it is from the Nahal Hever group of MSS, and while
the ink is faded on the end of verse 18, it is still clearly legible. The
last word of verse 17 is faded out, which caused Tim Hegg to make a mistake
in his interpretation of the verse.

As for the meaning, you’re right, it is difficult. I just looked at the
context and pattern, concluding that יראי would have to be a plural
participle. But then I didn’t think, merely accepted that this was probably
connected to ראה whereas you are correct that if a participle, then
connected with ירא and what that means.