b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] prosthetic aleph in Ps 22:17?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] prosthetic aleph in Ps 22:17?
  • Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 10:23:06 -0800

Steve:

2009/12/13 Steve Miller <smille10 AT sbcglobal.net>

> > Proverbs 16:27 “A useless person furnishes that which is displeasing, and
> > upon his lips [is] like a branding fire.” There is no neighbor in this
> > verse.
> >
> > Job 6:27 “Even you would cause to fall (used of casting lots) for an
> > orphan,
> > and you would dance (verb is כרר) upon your neighbors (as in oppressing
> > them)”
> >
> > Where is this “digging” from?
> >
> > Karl W. Randolph.
> >
> [Steve Miller] The meaning "dig" for krh is from its usage in the rest of
> the Tanach (16 times). Words

Lisowski lists 14 times for meaning of “dig”, 4 times for “purchase”
(business transaction) and once “to make a feast”. He listed Job 6:27 under
“purchase”.

> Think about when was the last time you used the word "furnish"?

I am not you, and I use it occasionally as a close synonym of “to provide”.

> Where do you get the word krr in Job 6:27? The word that's there is a
> normal
> conjugation of krh. I can't find krr in the Bible or in a Hebrew verb list.

I found it listed in Lisowski’s concordance, in the pilel in 2 Samuel 6:14,
16.

As for its conjugation, without points it can be from KRH, KRR, NCR of verbs
attested to in Tanakh, Context should tell us which meaning to use.