b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Is yissa' in Ps 24:5 Jussive?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Phil Sumpter" <philsumpter AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Is yissa' in Ps 24:5 Jussive?
  • Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 16:01:37 +0200

Thank you all for your responses:

Harold,

what makes you certain that it is indicative and not a jussive?

I know that on A-F's analysis the clause would be long, but this kind of clause does occur. I posted about this here: http://narrativeandontology.blogspot.com/2009/06/what-is-syntax-of-ps-243-5.html.

Kirk,

I'm still not sure why the existence of a relative clause in v. 4 means that v. 5 does not start a new sentence. Why can't we have two sentences: the first consists of a noun phrase followed by two relative clauses, the second is a new sentence with clause initial yissa', either as an indicative or a jussive?

Isaac,

Just to clarify (based on your private e-mail to me), you are suggesting that we amend the text and add hî', right?

Adding the pronoun would certainly ease the syntax, but I think that kind of emendation ought to be a last resort. I also think you mean hu' rather than hî'', as the subject is masculine.

Philip Sumpter

http://narrativeandontology.blogspot.com/