b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] And Samuel turned back after Saul: the meaning of 1 Samuel 15:31

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Read <J.Read-2 AT sms.ed.ac.uk>
  • To: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>, altcos AT berkeley.edu
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] And Samuel turned back after Saul: the meaning of 1 Samuel 15:31
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 13:13:01 +0100

Hi,

Quoting George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>:

James,

Thanks for bringing the evidence of the translations to bear upon this question.

No worries. That's what I'm here for.

However, I believe it is unfair to second guess Alter's motivations for his reading,

There really is no need to second guess. His words in the quotation in question make it quite clear that his agenda is to show that Samuel the prophet didn't follow Saul.

and not really appropriate here.

Apologies if this wasn't appropriate. Jay asked why Alter chose such a reading. Alter has provided no linguistic evidence. Just his interpretation and his line of reasoning that Samuel wouldn't have gone back with Saul. As I don't see Alter here defending his extremely weak position I attempted to answer Jay's question from Alter's own words.

If Alter has a good defense and does not consider himself above participating in discussions on this list I would more than welcome his response.

James Christian

Regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au