b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] And Samuel turned back after Saul: the meaning of 1 Samuel 15:31

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Read <J.Read-2 AT sms.ed.ac.uk>
  • To: Jay Frank <jif95 AT mac.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] And Samuel turned back after Saul: the meaning of 1 Samuel 15:31
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 19:40:00 +0100

You yourself provided his agenda when you opened this thread. Alter evidently has a problem with Samuel being with Saul at the moment in question. There are many inadequacies of the NWT but one thing I like about it is its literalness which helps those who don't know Hebrew see at a glance what the original Hebrew says literally:

So Samuel returned behind Saul, and Saul proceeded to prostrate himself to Jehovah.

Quite literally Samuel returned behind/after Saul. Alter's reasons for his translation are quite clearly not linguistically based. They are theologically based.

I don't know if you read Greek but here it is in the Greek translation:

??? ????????? ??????? ????? ?????

opiso is quite literally behind. The Greek translations of old are in agreement with the Hebrew.

For completeness here is the Vulgate translation:

reversus ergo Samuhel secutus est Saulem

The Latin has secutus (sense of following).

So, you see, there is a very long and ancient tradition of this understanding. It is not something which merely appeared in English renditions. Karl has already explained why the Hebrew commands such a translation. Alter, whoever he is, has not provided any other linguistic argument other than the use of his reputation (which I know nothing of).

All in all, the linguistic evidence is strongly stacked against Alter's commentary and his comments have all the signs of a theologically based objection which introduces bias to his translation.

Beware of idolatry. It is possible to idolise men as well as statues.

James Christian

Quoting Jay Frank <jif95 AT mac.com>:

James,

You write: "Karl has given you the linguistic arguments."
Yes, and I am grateful.

Having written regarding Professor Alter: "I have to admit I don't know who he is either." you then write: "I strongly suspect that Alter has theological reasons for his interpretation."

I strongly suspect that you have qualitatively insufficient warrant to make such a claim, nor do I see what possible theological reason(s) might serve as an agenda underling his translation.

With regards,

Jay