b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] And Samuel turned back after Saul: the meaning of 1 Samuel 15:31

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jay Frank <jif95 AT mac.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] And Samuel turned back after Saul: the meaning of 1 Samuel 15:31
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 08:28:52 -0500

George,

You wrote: "You know, Jim, I was almost going to agree with you (shock
horror), until you claimed that Alter must think that Joseph is really only
8½ years old. Shall I email him (Alter, not Joseph) and ask him whether that
is his opinion? "

I, for one, am more than pleased to see talk of 6-month years set aside, but
I continue to be intrigued by Alter's claim regarding the rendering of 1
Samuel 15:31. I simply do not understand his insistence, particularly given
Ruth 1:15 noted by Mr. Shead. Certainly it's difficult to believe that a
person with his credentials would be so adamant without reason. If you could
suggest a way I might contact the professor or, if you prefer, raise the
question for me, I would be most appreciative.

Jay