b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Eastern Galilee

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: JimStinehart AT aol.com
  • To: George.Athas AT moore.edu.au, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Eastern Galilee
  • Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 09:37:08 EDT

George:

The Hebrew spellings of the city two slots north of Chinnereth in eastern
Galilee, and of the city two slots south of Chinnereth, are very
controversial,
and in my considered opinion are also a key to understanding the Patriarchal
narratives. (I did not mean to imply that scholars have focused on this
issue.
They have not.) I will ask questions about, and seek discussion of, those
Hebrew spellings of those city names in my next post.

With your permission, however, let me just briefly note in this short post
the relatively minor spelling issues regarding the name of the city
immediately
north of Chinnereth, and the name of the city immediately south of
Chinnereth,
in eastern Galilee.

Hazor is the next city north of Chinnereth in eastern Galilee. All scholars
agree that the Hazor at Joshua 19: 36 is the same as the Hazor at item #32 on
the Thutmose III list, even though the spellings are very different. In
Biblical Hebrew, the spelling is XCWR. On the Thutmose III list, the
spelling is
HZR (where an underlined Egyptian D would normally be zayin/Z in Hebrew). We
see from this example that the spellings of city names may differ greatly
between Biblical Hebrew in Joshua and secular sources. (Omitted is a
discussion of
the possibility that HZR may be an earlier, different name of the same city,
having a different underlying meaning than XCWR, per HCN at Ezekiel 23: 24.)

Adamah is south of Chinnereth in eastern Galilee. Adamah is )DMH at Joshua
19: 36. A he/H suffix is commonplace in Biblical Hebrew city names, but is
never used on the Tuthmosis III list. So this is )DM + suffix.

Adamah is probably item #36 on the Thutmose III list, where the Egyptian
letters JTMM can be viewed as being the equivalent of )DM + suffix in
Biblical
Hebrew.. (Discussion of items #36 and #51 omitted.)

In order to keep this post short, let me simply state that I agree with the
slight majority of scholars who see the site of Biblical Adamah as being at
Tell Adami. (Long discussion of varying scholarly views on this issue
omitted.)

Here is a terrific map of Lower Galilee, which shows all the key sites in
Lower Galilee -- including Tell Adami/Horns of Hattin, which is Adamah at
Joshua
19: 36.

_http://truthandpurpose.com/?p=113_ (http://truthandpurpose.com/?p=113)

In my next post on this thread, I will raise the key Hebrew spelling issues
as to the name of the controversial city south of Adamah. These first two
posts on this thread have been background information. My next post will be
controversial, and will seek advice on, and discussion of, the key Hebrew
spelling
issues involved.

(George, I will try to follow your good advice and keep my posts shorter.)

Jim Stinehart
Evanston, Illinois

**************Feeling the pinch at the grocery store? Make dinner for $10 or