b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Re: WELSH AND HEBREW

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ratson Naharadama <yahoo-arch AT heplist.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Re: WELSH AND HEBREW
  • Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 01:30:27 -0600

That was an odd post. I find it interesting, though, because Welsh is very closely related to Cornish (both are classified as P-Celtic, which is also called Brythonic). While I am familiar with Welsh (one of the earlier languages I studied), I'm much more familiar with Cornish. I remember it mentioned in a few books that the English, a few centuries back, had a weird idea that Cornish was identical to Hebrew, so someone decided to distribute the Old Testament to the Cornish parish churches in the Hebrew language. I do not know the origin of this tale, nor do I know what basis this belief may have been based on, but it's interesting that someone would have a similar thought about closely related Welsh.

--
Ratson Naharädama
Denver, Colorado