b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Any meaning to the Dagesh?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Any meaning to the Dagesh?
  • Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 17:15:42 +0000

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 5:43 AM, Bryant J. Williams III wrote:
> Dear Yitzhak,
>
> BHS,  which uses  Leningrad Codex [B19A(L)] has QINNIYM ( קִנִּים ) in
> Genesis
> 6:14 and QINIYM ( קִנִים )Ezekiel 2:10.
>
> The NIV Triglot OT, using the text of van der Hooght (1705) as edited by
> Hahn
> (1831) has QINNIYM ( קנִים ) in Genesis 6:14 and QIYNIYM  ( קִינִים ) in
> Ezekiel
> 2:10.
>
> Thus, it appears that we have two different textual traditions being used.

The NIV Triglot OT is based on the Mikraot Gdolot Ben Hayyim edition of the
text, which is available here:
http://aleph500.huji.ac.il/nnl/dig/books/bk001268184.html

While there is a difference in the actual spelling of the text, there is no
difference in pronunciation between the two. In this respect, the Mikraot
Gdolot here accurately reflects the Tiberian pronunciation.

However, in such cases, the Leningrad/Aleppo codices are much better
editions of the text than the Mikraot Gdolot.

Yitzhak Sapir