b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Bethsaida

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Bethsaida
  • Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 05:21:19 -0800

Yigal:

If it truly is TsYD the word meant in Beth-saida, I see the possibility that
it started as a place preparing food for the fishermen and other boatmen.
Possibly a family business. Then the place grew over time as other fishing
related business located there.

The word has as its basic root the meaning of getting provisions, such as
for a journey. It is used that way in Joshua 9. See also Nehemiah 13:15.
These stories also shows that hunting was not a sport, rather a way of
getting provisions.

Karl W. Randolph.