b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Mem in the Middle of the Word

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard3 AT earthlink.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Mem in the Middle of the Word
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 22:36:24 -0600

Brak,

I need help with two words found in two places.

1chr 15:13 - word 2: <L:/MA/B.F/RI)$OWNFH>
2ch 30:3 - word 11: <L:/MA/D.AY

Is the root of the <MA> either <MIN> or <MFH> as different sources say one or the other?

HH: The sources I checked (Keil & Delitzsch, Kohlenberger, Bibleworks) say that the -M represents MaH, as part of the phrasal word LMH = on account of (Le + MaH). Sometimes L plus M can involve the M representing MiN, but I guess not here.

Since all the other occurrences of the prefixed <M> are classified as the preposition <MIN>, to me it would seem that these two as well would be <MIN>. So I am wondering why it being a prefixed pronoun <MFH> (this would make these the only occurrences of a prefixed pronoun) is claimed by some.

So in the context of accepting the masorah of LC, what is the meaning of this prefixed <M>?
If it is <MFH>, how does one explain the presence of a prefixed pronoun?

HH: The word LMH means "why," generally speaking. MaH can mean "what." "Because at what was in the beginning (it was) not you." The Levites were not carrying the ark in the beginning. That's why the wrath came.

HH: I too wondered whether it could not be L plus MiN referring to the originating point in time, but this would call for Hireq or Tsere under the M, not Pathach.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard