b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 9:24-27

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Rolf Furuli <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 9:24-27
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 09:42:46 +0100

Dear Yitzhaq.

Porphyry, the Neo-Platonic philosopher of the 3rd century C.E. wrote several books against the Christians. In his 12th book he attacked the book of Daniel. A principal argument was that the "prophecies" of the book must be history in prophetic disguise, because they had been "fulfilled," and no one can foretell the future. His book is lost, but Jerome presents many of his arguments and tries to refute them. A translation of Jerome's work was made by Archer, jr., so this is a basic source. Braverman is also an important source, because it comments on Jerome and Porphyry and refer to rabbinic sources as well. A tendency that we already see in Porphyry is that events in the life of Antiochus IV are colored and adjusted in order to let them fit the words of Daniel. Therefore, Mörkholm is an important source, because he discusses all the sources we have about the life of Antiochus IV, and writes his history. All three sources have "a reputed non-religious position on the section". Mörkholm is a historian "supporting the view that the events mentioned in the verses were accomplished in the time of Antiochus IV". the book of Archer jr. is a translation of Jerome, and Braverman's discussion is descriptive.

Other works I would recommend and which I use in my studies are:

J.J. Collins (1993) "Daniel" in the Hermeneia series.
L. Wood (1973) "A Commentary on Daniel"
J.M. Montgomery (repr. 1972) "A Critical and Exegetical Commentary on the Book of Daniel" ICC
C.F. Keil & F. Delitzsch (repr. 1976) "Commentary on the Old Testament in ten volumes, volume 7, Ezekiel and Daniel". this is an old but important work.
F. E. Gaeblein general ed. (1985) The Expositors Bible commentary, volume 7
J. A. Goldstein (1976) "I Maccabees" The Anchor Bible
J. A. Goldstein (1984) "II Maccabees" The Anchor Bible

There are also many fine monographs that deal with Daniel and Antiochus IV. I am not aware of any modern scholarly work where the author argues against the view that several verses in the book of Daniel refer to Antiochus IV. However, there are too many parrots in the world who simply repeat what the authorities say. In my view, to challenge what is universally accepted is a fine scientific approach.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli Ph.D
University of Oslo