b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 9:24-27

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Rolf Furuli <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 9:24-27
  • Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 19:57:49 +0100

Dear Tory,

This discussion has something to do with Hebrew, because it may have a bearing on the confidence in Ptolemy and the interpretation of Daniel 9:24-27. But still it is quite far away from the main line of the list. So I think we should not proceed. I see that you treat the tablets dated to Bardiya different from the way you treat other tablets, and that is your privilege. I choose to take the dates at face value. I have written a book on Persian chronology compared with the chronology of the Bible, and I have never seen this mountain of evidence that you speak about. The only piece of evidence that contradicts an 18-month reign of Bardiya of which I am awasre (beside Ptolemy) is the Behistun inscription, which contain much propaganda. But even if the accesion year of Bardiya is the same as his year 1, the Behistun inscription is contradicted by the tablets from his 1st year.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli Ph.D
University of Oslo