b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] XRM

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] XRM
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 10:52:07 -0700

David:
Just because a word has a similar form, or even an identical form, as
another word, that does not mean that they have similar meanings. There are
many reasons for this, so I won't go into it.

Looking at the contexts where the word חרם XRM actually is used in Tanakh, I
get:

חרם to identify a person or object such that he is designated for special
attention, e.g. consecrated to the Lord such that one can no longer make use
of it for himself, sentenced to destruction or condemned to death
-(hence)- (physically)
to (indicate by a) mark, as in to blemish, make imperfect -(derivatives)-
חרם marked -(hence)- designated object or person to be consecrated or
condemned to destruction, חרם marked such that blemished, disfigured, has
imperfection

It looks as if you have done the etymological fallacy.

Karl W. Randolph.