b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] incorrect letter in text

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] incorrect letter in text
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 10:17:55 -0700

Yaakov:
QWX in Isaiah 61:1 is a separate word, not a suffix. The makef is a word
separator. All the makef does is to say that these two separate words should
be read together.

PTLTL is Deuteronomy 32:5 is one word with no separators.

You didn't answer my question: is Numbers 16:1 found among the DSS, and if
so, what do they have written? I would be surprised if that is a missing
section.

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 12:06 PM, Yaakov Stein <yaakov_s AT rad.com> wrote:

> > Isaiah 61:1 has QWX, is it from the same root?
>
> No, the QWX there is a suffix, although in unusual fashion with a
> makaf, not a separate word.
>
> The word is PQXQWX which is a strengthened form of PQX = "opening
> their eyes" just like PTLTWL is a strengthened form of PTL = "crooked".
>
> "Opening their eyes" doesn't fit the context in Isaiah 61:1. When one is
tied up or in fetters, merely opening eyes doesn't help much. Or maybe I
misunderstood your intent?

> Regarding NQX, QXH or QXX, I don't know of such roots …

Since such a small corpus remains from Biblical Hebrew, one of these could
be among the many roots that have been lost. We can't rule them out.

> (and I don't believe the last one works with the conjugation in question).
>
> The same way as $WD comes from $DD, RW( comes from R(( or GWL from GLL.

Or do you mean the imperfective in Numbers 16:1? Dropping of the second
letter of a double ayen verb is common in imperfective verbs: if this is one
such example, then this is another example of incorrect pointing by the
Masoretes.

> Yaakov (J) Stein

In order to prove your example, you need to show at least that the DSS lack
this verse, or show that the DSS are different.