b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] incorrect letter in text

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] incorrect letter in text
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 08:21:56 -0700

Yaakov:
Three comments:

1) What do the Dead Sea scrolls have on this verse?

2) When looking at the LXX, those translators indicated that they read it as
saying or some sort of expression.

3) While LQX is the most common root for the expression, grammatically it
could also have come from NQX, QWX, QXH or QXX which was used far more
seldom, but recognized in its time by a different pronunciation. Are there
any indications from cognate languages for these roots? (Isaiah 61:1 has
QWX, is it from the same root?)

Before assuming that there is a wrong letter here, I need more information.

Karl W. Randolph.