b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ecc 12:6-7

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: <pporta AT oham.net>
  • To: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ecc 12:6-7
  • Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 08:08:12 +0100

Are they necessarily construct? Or are they verb subject object phrases?
If they are verb subject object phrases, then this verse has all four
phrases with the same grammatical structure.

___________

They are necessarily construct. So I think. "Gulat" is clearly a construct (see the absolute in Zec 4:3). And "Hebel" is construct too. Look at the A. section in www.oham.net/out/N-t/N-t081.html

Furthermore remark that the noun which comes some words after "kad" has article (ha-galgal)...
That is why I think that "ha-kad" would be better. And I do not intend, by no means, to propose a changing of the text: the text must remain as it is.
But cientific discussion is always enlightening, so I feel.

Heartly,

Pere
Barcelona (Catalonia, Spain)

> 2) The verb is Y$B, not $WB, it means to settle down, so the (L fits > the
> context of settling down upon the earth. The verb is a weqatal, not
> wayyiqtol, fitting the context of the next section with its yiqtol.

Both the dictionary I've at hand (BDB) and Oham tell this verb comes from
$WB, not from Y$B.

Look at www.oham.net/out/P-d/P-d125p.html and
www.oham.net/out/P-d/P-d157.html
as regards verbs ayin"waw
And then look at www.oham.net/out/P-d/P-d106.html and
www.oham.net/out/P-d/P-d140p.html
as regards verbs pe"yud.

Take away the points, and the consonants WY$B could be from either. Context
with the following verb in the verse indicates that it is a weqatal verb.
Context in connection with (L indicates that the root is Y$B. Context
indicates that the points are wrong (I'm assuming it's pointed as a
wayyiktol). (L makes perfect sense in context with Y$B.

> I hope these answer your questions.

Not yet!

Heartly,

Pere Porta