b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ecc 12:6-7

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: <pporta AT oham.net>
  • To: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ecc 12:6-7
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 18:41:57 +0100

First I read the context, these are the concluding verses of a section
referring to old age and death, in a poetic form.

It is quite wise to read the context, yes!

Now your questions:

1) a) the article is not necessary b) look at the context of the preceding
sections, an article is not used either for XBL and GLT

I think these two are construct groups where every second member has article (hakesef, hazahav): then the whole group is understood with article. Therefore your argument does not seem to be valid.
Again to my question: why the precedent cases come with article (they are determined) but... kad is INdetermined?
Within the dynamics of the sentence... would not be more logical "hakad"?

2) The verb is Y$B, not $WB, it means to settle down, so the (L fits the
context of settling down upon the earth. The verb is a weqatal, not
wayyiqtol, fitting the context of the next section with its yiqtol.

Both the dictionary I've at hand (BDB) and Oham tell this verb comes from $WB, not from Y$B.

Look at www.oham.net/out/P-d/P-d125p.html and www.oham.net/out/P-d/P-d157.html
as regards verbs ayin"waw
And then look at www.oham.net/out/P-d/P-d106.html and www.oham.net/out/P-d/P-d140p.html
as regards verbs pe"yud.