b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Lemche and Thompson

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Bill Rea <bsr15 AT cantsl.it.canterbury.ac.nz>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Lemche and Thompson
  • Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 10:34:45 +1300 (NZDT)

Jim wrote:-

>Rather than claiming that I alone can interpret the evidence properly, I
>am specifically asserting the exact opposite: anyone who is willing to
>look objectively at the evidence I am setting forth on the b-Hebrew list
^^^^^^^^^^^
>should be able to see that the entirety of the Patriarchal narratives is
>fully redolent of the mid-14th century BCE, and of no other era.

The word I've underlined is important. Your claim now, as I understand
it, is that the rest of the world remains unconvinced of your matching
up of the Amarna letters with Genesis because we/they are not being
objective. It amounts to the same thing in practice. You alone are
being objective. This is like the arguments our philosophical
presuppositioners make -- people can't evaluate the evidence because
their philosophical presuppositions are wrong. Without the ``right''
objectivity/philosophical presuppositions you can't interpret the
evidence. Sorry, such arguments are without merit. If the evidence
were as convincing as you say, then it would convince indepedent of
whether a person had the right type of objectivity or not.

Bill Rea, ICT Services, University of Canterbury \_
E-Mail bill.rea AT canterbury.ac.nz </ New
Phone 64-3-364-2331, Fax 64-3-364-2332 /) Zealand
Unix Systems Administrator (/'

  • Re: [b-hebrew] Lemche and Thompson, Bill Rea, 02/28/2008