b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Joseph's Egyptian Name

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: b-hebrew Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: b-hebrew Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Joseph's Egyptian Name
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 17:51:21 -0500

I am just recalling that my shrewd friend Gillie raised in school in Bible class the possibility that the name CAPNAT comes from the Hebrew CAPON, 'north'. Joseph had to remind the Egyptians so often that he is from the north, accounting for his blond hair, blue eyes, and his otherwise exceptionally good looks, that they nicknamed him "the Nordic", or in his own words CAPNAT.
Isaac Fried, Boston University