b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Wellhausen

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Wellhausen
  • Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 09:19:07 +0200

Just to clarify, for those who are not familiar with the positions:

N.A. Silberman is the American scholar who is the Israeli archaeologist Israel Finkelstein's partner in writing his recent popular books, in which he explains his "minimallist" views on the Uinted Monarchy (basically, that the archaeological evidence shows that there could not have been a powerful state in 10th century BCE Israel, and thus most of the biblical descriptions of the reigns of David and Solomon are late (in his view - Josianic) inventions. Amihai Mazar is one of the leading Israeli "secular" archeologists who, on purely archaeological grounds, does not agree with Finkelstein's analysis or with is conclusions. The Finkelstein-Mazar book which Yitzhak keeps mentioning is (I assume - I have not yet seen it) a collection of the arguments of both schools.

Yigal Levin

----- Original Message ----- From: "Yitzhak Sapir" <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
I hope you're not confusing Mazar with Silberman. It seems
Finkelstein/Silberman was mentioned recently -- two months
ago -- by Jim Stinehart. But it seems to me more likely that
for some reason, my references to the recent book (published
this past month) of Finkelstein and Mazar somehow became
confused with Finkelstein and Silberman's book. The two are
very different.

Yitzhak Sapir