b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Study on energic nun ter

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: <pporta AT oham.net>
  • To: "Isaac Fried" <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Study on energic nun ter
  • Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 07:29:44 +0100

Pere,

Do you really believe that the ancient Hebrews had something that we are
compelled to fancifully call today "energic nun"? You are saying that this
nun is inserted. But is it not the reverse, namely, that this nun was there
in the first place and then over time dropped out of the form? Should we then
mark and call the vacated spot "the dropped energic nun fault line", or
something else to this effect?

_____________

When I write "energic nun" I follow the path of grammars and dictionaries at
use on this subject. I do not know if this "energic" nun was there first and
it dropped over time out of the form...
(By the way I wonder if there is any way to know this: was the nun first? did
it come after (supposedly, after -hu)?

At putting my question I assumed that the "normal", so to say, form is ending
"hu", while ending "nu" would be somewhat special, unusual... perhaps
reserved or restricted to some given special emphatic cases, etc. That's why
I asked.

Now, if you state that every consonant in Hebrew is either root consonant or
personal pronoun... and since, methink, this "energic" nun is, of itself,
neither root consonant nor personal pronoun, please tell the list: which is
the true role of this "energic" nun within your theory?

Pere Porta
Barcelona (Spain)

Isaac Fried, Boston University