b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Book of Judith

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ken Penner" <ken.penner AT acadiau.ca>
  • To: Søren Holst <sh AT teol.ku.dk>, "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Book of Judith
  • Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 10:08:40 -0400

It does appear that the Greek text of Judith we now possess was translated
from Hebrew (not Aramaic), based on mistranslations and Hebrew idioms. See M.
S. Enslin's comments in _The Book of Judith_ (Brill, 1972).
A. M. Dubarle thinks the late Hebrew texts of Judith we possess derive from
the original Hebrew. (VT 11:86-87; Biblica 50:187-211 and 56:503-511) See
also M. Gaster earlier, in PSBA 16:156-63 and F. Zimmermann in JBL 57:67-74.

Regarding canonicity, Moore (in ABD) suggests a few reasons it was rejected:
Judith was too liberated; Achior was an Ammonite; Achior was not baptized.
The latter is considered most likely.

Ken

Ken M. Penner, Ph.D. (McMaster)
Acadia/Greek&Hebrew
Greek, Hebrew, Aramaic vocabulary memorization software:
http://purl.org/net/kmpenner/flash