b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Qamats or patah?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: <pporta AT oham.net>
  • To: "Yitzhak Sapir" <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>, "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Qamats or patah?
  • Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 07:49:01 +0100

On Nov 29, 2007 8:50 AM, Pere Porta wrote:
I compare the word HBY)TNY in 2Sa 7:18 with the word HBY)TNW in Nm 16:14 and
I wonder why the first has patah under taw while the latter has qamats
instead.

[Y. Sapir]
Look also at Ps 66:11. As it turns out, Num 16:14 is possibly a
pausal form. Normally,
pausal forms occur at more major pauses (etnax/ta, silluq), but there
are in fact several
degrees of pauses, and sometimes pausal forms occur in any case which suggests a
different original division of the verse. When two suffixes are added
-- in this case -ta and
-nu: or -ta and -ni:, the word becomes extremely long. havi?o +
-tanu: or -tani:. It seems

_____

Thank you, Yitzhak. Your explanation is a technical one. But at least I see the difference in vowels is not a scribal mistake...

Thank you, David Kummerow, as well for your replaying!

Pere Porta
Barcelona (Spain)