b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 31: 47 - Suffix -UT

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David Kummerow <farmerjoeblo AT hotmail.com>
  • To: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 31: 47 - Suffix -UT
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 17:21:21 +1100

Which is an erroneous, and -- as always it seems -- linguistically unsubstantiated assumption on your part. Human beings are unable to speak such a theoretical construct and has been proven through the typological documentation of languages world-wide.

Regards,
David Kummerow.

David,

You have said

"Actually, I said, and have said, a lot more than that."

I know. I would greatly prefer, though, to stay focused on one thing at a time.

I have said it often and very clearly before, and I will say it again:

Every U and I in a Hebrew word is a universal identity marker [aka personal pronoun], invariably.
There is no such thing in Hebrew as a "vowel", except for A. The idea of the vowel is an alien carry-over into Hebrew from Indo-European grammar.

Isaac Fried, Boston University