b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Furuli Peer Review

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yitzhak Sapir" <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Furuli Peer Review
  • Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 14:22:50 +0200

On Nov 25, 2007 3:26 AM, kenneth greifer wrote:

> Just out of curiosity as a non-scholar, why is the review of Furuli's book
> important? I
> understand his ideas are controversial, but why are book reviews important
> or is this the
> first step in some process?

This is not a peer-review in the sense that it comes before
publication. An independent
pre-publication peer review could be responsible for making sure the
book *does* include
all the data. After publication, reviews could only criticize that
the data isn't given.

Any review is good. It is part of the way a book or research is accepted into
scholarship. I generally don't buy a book without having read it --
or having seen that
I keep finding references to the book keep coming up again and again
in research.
But whether I look at a book in the library or buy it, I also
appreciate being able to
weigh the scholar's opinion. Even if I have expertise in a subject,
it is good to see
what criticisms or agreements other scholars find in the work. If I have less
expertise, then a review is essential for being able to evaluate the
work. Even a
4 page review is good. But reviews can be longer, in which they can
even become
more like commentaries. Pardee has a 400 page review (of a 1000 page work).

Yitzhak Sapir