b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] AGES/DATING of Ancient OT Translations that you Cited ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Philip <philipengmann AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] AGES/DATING of Ancient OT Translations that you Cited ?
  • Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 05:53:30 -0700 (PDT)

Thank you, Peter.

I would also be interested in the AGES of the various ancient translations
that you have cited below.

Best regards,

Philip

Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org> wrote:
On 26/04/2007 12:48, Philip wrote:
> Dear Peter, (2 years later), Are the other translations that you cite below
> complete manuscripts? or only fragments?
>
> ... If we are looking at translations, why is only the LXX mentioned? It is
> not the only ancient translation, although it may be the oldest. There are
> for example a variety of Aramaic (= Targums) and Syriac versions, as well
> as variant Greek texts, which deserve mention alongside the LXX. The Latin
> Vulgate is also an important witness because it is known to have been
> translated from the Hebrew long before the existing MT MSS. There are also
> Arabic, Ethiopic, Armenian, Coptic etc translations to be considered. --
> Peter Kirk

Philip, I don't know if all of these ancient translations are complete
for the whole Hebrew Bible. I'm not sure that there is a complete
ancient Arabic translation, and I don't think there are complete Greek
texts apart from what we know as LXX. But I understand Latin (Vulgate),
Aramaic, Syriac, Ethiopic, Coptic and Armenian to be complete or
essentially so, preserved by religious communities which continue to use
them. None of these are "only fragments". Maybe others know the details
better than me.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org

---------------------------------
Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 18:18:03 +0000
From: "Yitzhak Sapir" <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Language, Culture or Both? was Nostratic

On 4/19/07, Yitzhak Sapir wrote:

> > Finally, on a historical basis is that the Medeo-Persian Empire was the
> > first non-Semitic empire.
>
> There was a Persian empire, not a Medeo-Persian Empire. Also, there was a
> Mitanni Empire, an Indo-Iranian empire centered in northern Mesopotamia that
> flourished from about 1500 BCE to 1360 BCE.

The above description of Mitanni is taken from Encyclopedia Britannica.
However, the following comment was made on ANE-2 regarding the description
by Encyclopedia Britannica. The purpose is not to bring up this rather old
and
relatively marginal comment but only to correct that original comment given
the
related discussion on ANE-2. While Mitanni was not an Indo-Aryan empire,
it was still not "ethnically" Semitic. So here is the quote: