b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Eccles 2:3

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ron Snider <sarasotapt AT verizon.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Eccles 2:3
  • Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 18:44:15 -0400

I would like to get some input on how one views the syntax of the infinitive construct of MASHAK and how it is to be translated. The normal root meaning seems to be to pull, drag or draw out. It can come to mean to extend or prolong, but it that is the case here, it would seem to indicate extended drinking sessions...I have no problem with the fact that Solomon may have drank and drank to excess, but is that what is in view? As far as the syntax, the NAS understands the infinitive to mean how to do something, but it could also indicate purpose I think.

Any insights are appreciated.

Ron Snider,
Pastor-teacher,
Makarios Bible Church