b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Tenses - Deut 6:4

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Bob MacDonald <bobmacdonald AT shaw.ca>
  • To: 'b-hebrew' <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Tenses - Deut 6:4
  • Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 11:23:21 -0800

Isaac - thanks for your reply

My conjugation / theological question is perhaps not list business - more
suited to a linguistics or philosophy list. I think the point you brought
out about the primitive nature of language is important. Our 'understanding'
is conditioned by habit and the commonplace. As a result we may never
escape the context of the assumptions of others - whether they were right or
not. That is what immediately struck me as I looked at the tenses of these
words in Deut 6 - the whole section in fact. We are looking at the Shema
tonight in my Hebrew class - it is late enough in the group formation that I
may be able to introduce a question.

Bob

Bob MacDonald

Victoria BC