b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Tenses - Deut 6:4

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Tenses - Deut 6:4
  • Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 07:29:34 -0800

Dear Bob:

You refer to verse 5.

First of all, the Masoretic points are demonstrably wrong often enough
that we cannot use them as an argument finisher. As a result, it is
the context that is often required to denote what is the correct
reading. In this case the context indicates that the imperative is the
correct reading.

As for the suffix, it was a common practice among Biblical Hebrew
writers to use the singular among a group to emphasize all individuals
within the group.

Karl W. Randolph.