b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] verse numbering in Exodus 12

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Isaac Fried" <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: "'Peter Kirk'" <peter AT qaya.org>, "'Tory Thorpe'" <torythrp AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] verse numbering in Exodus 12
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 09:17:25 -0500

The root DBR is a variant of CBR, ‘to accumulate, to pile up’. Hence, the
apparently unrelated derivative DOVRAH of 1R 5:23, ‘a raft, a pack of
trunks’. Also related are the roots TBR, from which comes the mountain name
TABOR, and TABUR ‘hub’. Further down the line lay in wait TFR ‘to sew, to
stitch’, CAVAR 'neck', etc.
The golden rule of Hebrew etymology: The letter R is a marker of plurality;
every Hebrew root containing the letter R refers to a material state of
aggregation.
The root AMR includes the letter R as well. In the word IMRAH the initial
‘I’ is the personal pronoun HI for the thing itself. It is present also in
AMIR ‘tree top’ turning the root into a noun.
Isaac Fried, Boston University