b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] verse numbering in Exodus 12

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Gary Hedrick" <garyh AT cjfm.org>
  • To: "B-Hebrew List" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] verse numbering in Exodus 12
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 14:49:08 -0600

Joel, don't you mean Ex. 20? Perhaps the difference in verse
numbering is related to the fact that the rabbis consider the introduction
("I am the LORD your God," v. 2) to be the first commandment, even though
the verse itself lacks an imperative verb and cannot therefore be a command
per se. Then to make everything fit into 10 commandments, they combine
commandments 2 and 3 and make them commandment number two. Some Roman
Catholic sources, by the way, follow this same order.

Gary Hedrick
San Antonio, Texas USA