b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 51:7 (English versions 51:5)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: <pporta AT oham.net>
  • To: "Peter Kirk" <peter AT qaya.org>, "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 51:7 (English versions 51:5)
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 05:58:14 +0100

I don't have the Masoretic points before me, but the consonantal text
could be pointed more than one way. Depending on the pointing, the
root could be either XWL or XLL, with the context giving the deciding
vote on which root to choose. Obviously the root indicated by the
pointing results in nonsense, therefore a different pointing ought be
considered.

I read this as a passive from the root XLL, a reading that not only
fits grammatically, but the context as well. Either we are dealing
with a corrupted transmission of the tradition, or an irregular verb
with a unique vowel pattern.

We have two parallel lines here in the Hebrew, here with the Masoretic vowels transliterated for your reference:

H"N-B.:(FWOWN XOWLFL:T.IY
W.B:X"+:) YEX:EMAT:NIY )IM.IY

My partial translation:
Behold, in iniquity I ??-ed
And in sin my mother ??-s me

Whatever XWLLTY means here, it appears to be in synonymous parallelism with something which the psalmist's mother does to him.

Also wouldn't the vav in the unpointed text XWLLTY be out of place in a form of XLL?

Perhaps the form (W)DWMAMTY (Psa 131:2), of DMM, can help?

Pere