b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] tanakh in hebrew and copyright rules

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "JAMES CHRISTIAN READ" <JCR128 AT student.apu.ac.uk>
  • To: peter AT qaya.org
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] tanakh in hebrew and copyright rules
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 14:48:48 +0100

Sourceforge policy does not allow non open source
software to be stored in its distribution service.
If it's on sourceforge you can use it.

The zephania markup language itself is released on a
GNU gpl licence which means you are allowed to make
money from it but you must always release the source
code for anything you make from it.

The aleppo-text within the zephania xml file is just
data and as such is distributed without license, which
means you are limitlessly free to do want you want with
it (I'm not a lawyer so verify this for yourselves).
You cannot copyright the data because

a) the data belongs to Moses et al and they released it
without limits or in the words of the xml coverage tag
'provide the bible to the world'

b) The data itself does not contain any kind of critical
analysis data such as textual variants which anyone
can claim a right to owning (as far as I have seen).

c) The aleppo text is also distributed as a sword module
(Again on GPL licence, I think)

d) The encoding is UTF-8 which doesn't belong to
anybody so no proprietary encoding grounds could be
claimed either

Mecho-Mamre's webpage has this to say on the matter:

'All of the material in this site is copyrighted. We are often asked how we
can claim a copyright in a public domain book like The Bible. While it is
quite true that no one can have a copyright that excludes all others from
preparing their own unique copy of the Bible or other public domain works for
copyright protection, our Bibles and other materials are not exactly like any
others and are fully protected by copyright laws in all countries. If you
want to prepare your own unique Bible or other Torah materials for the Web,
we are open to giving help and advice toward that end.'

When the zephania xml states that it is 'based' on the
mechon-mamre text I take it on good faith that it does
not represent an exact copy of their text and that
therefore mechon-mamre could not claim any breach of
copyright.

James C. Read
UK