b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] tanakh in hebrew and copyright rules

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: kenneth greifer <greifer AT hotmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] tanakh in hebrew and copyright rules
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 22:39:08 +0100

On 23/07/2006 04:29, kenneth greifer wrote:
Maybe this is not the right place to ask, but I don't know who else to ask. Is the Tanakh in Hebrew copyrighted? I have seen many books and internet sites that say they are copyrighted, but I thought the Torah was public domain. Is it because they use their own Hebrew fonts or is it something else? I have heard that you can only copyright the source code for a web site.

Also, when scholars write books, do they type in all of the Hebrew quotes from the Tanakh themselves or do they use ready-made quotes copied from a book or a cd? Do they have to get permission from a publisher and pay for the right to quote the Hebrew or do they have a public domain version? Is there a public domain Hebrew Tanakh on CD that anyone can use even if it was for commercial purposes?

According to http://www.biblegateway.com/versions/?action=getVersionInfo&vid=81 , the Westminster Leningrad Codex text available at this site is in the public domain i.e. not copyrighted. As our moderator Kirk Lowery is responsible for this text (see http://www.wts.edu/hebrew/), perhaps he can confirm this.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org