b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] tanakh in hebrew and copyright rules

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Avi Wollman" <avi.wollman AT gmail.com>
  • To: dwashbur AT nyx.net
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] tanakh in hebrew and copyright rules
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 09:34:55 +0300

in my simple understanding.
a photocopy of an old (over whatever copyright law states) seems not
to be copyrightable. but typesetting a new print in the processes of
typesetting already creates a new version thus should have on it the
laws of copyright.
the purpose of the copyright law is to limit the use of material one
worked on from being taken from him without his getting reimbursed for
his work.
anyone can photo a old book but it takes work (alot of it) to put out
a new edition.

Avi

On 7/23/06, dwashbur AT nyx.net <dwashbur AT nyx.net> wrote:
I have to wonder exactly what constitutes a "unique Bible."

On 23 Mar 2006 at 7:34, Yigal Levin wrote:

> http://www.mechon-mamre.org/, who have several Hebrew versions (with and
> without vowel and cantilation marks) claim the following:
>
> All of the material in this site is copyrighted. We are often asked how we
> can claim a copyright in a public domain book like The Bible. While it is
> quite true that no one can have a copyright that excludes all others from
> preparing their own unique copy of the Bible or other public domain works
> for copyright protection, our Bibles and other materials are not exactly
> like any others and are fully protected by copyright laws in all countries.
> If you want to prepare your own unique Bible or other Torah materials for
> the Web, we are open to giving help and advice toward that end.
>
> You may use materials from this site only for your private study, not for
> publishing in any form, including any Web site. Under our liberal
> understanding of the Fair Use Doctrine, you may use a few short quotations
> from our site in any other work, including copyrighted publications. Any
> other use requires written permission from us.
>
> We can be reached by regular mail at Mechon Mamre, 12 Hayyim Vital
> St.,Jerusalem, ISRAEL 95470, by phone at 972-2-652-1906, and by email at
> mtr AT mechon-mamre.org (we speak and write only Hebrew and English).
>

> I think that means that if you want to copy short passages, that't okay, but
> whole pages or chapters, not. But ask them, and maybe enlighten us with
> their answer.
>
> Yigal Levin

Dave Washburn
Encephaloriasis: That condition generated when the person you are dealing
with is so
incredibly stupid, you can actually feel your own brain cells drying up and
flaking off.