b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Also asking a question - Re: YHWH is Aramaic?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: Awohili AT aol.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Also asking a question - Re: YHWH is Aramaic?
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 15:48:02 +0100

On 29/06/2006 15:33, Awohili AT aol.com wrote:
In the book, _201 Hebrew Verbs_ Abraham S. Halkin lists ehyeh as the future aspect of the kal of HYH. ...

Is this a book of MODERN Hebrew? Of course in modern Hebrew the "imperfect" or YIQTOL form is a future tense, and so the meaning is uncontestably "I will be". But in biblical Hebrew, at least as understood by most scholars, this verb form indicates not so much a tense as the imperfective or continuous aspect, meaning in the context something like "I was and I am and I always will be", or, in simpler English, "I am".

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org