b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Also asking a question - Re: YHWH is Aramaic?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Also asking a question - Re: YHWH is Aramaic?
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 18:11:22 +0100

On 29/06/2006 17:49, Shoshanna Walker wrote:
Maybe it means Everlasting BEING - I will Always Be, Just As I Always Have Been - and includes all tenses of the word "to be"

Precisely, this is what I have been arguing. If I may add another ancient Jewish author (writing in Greek), John the author of Revelation describes God as the one "who is and who was and who is to come", hO WN KAI hO HN KAI hO ERCOMENOS (1:8 and elsewhere); "is to come" is probably to be understood as meaning "will be" cf. English "going to". Although this is not explicitly a comment on Exodus 3:14, it does rather look like one, and corresponds well to your Midrash explanation.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org