b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] David's sons were priests?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David Kummerow <farmerjoeblo AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] David's sons were priests?
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 07:48:12 +1000

Karl,

You might want to have a look at:

Wenham, Gordon J. "Were David's Sons Priests?" ZAW 87 (1975): 79-82.

Armerding, Carl Edwin. "Were David's Sons Really Priests?" Pages 75-86 in Current Issues in Biblical and Patristic Interpretation: Studies in Honor of Merrill C. Tenny Presented by his Former Students. Edited by G. F. Hawthorne. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1975.

I read them a number of years ago now, but can't recall the details.

Regards,
David Kummerow.

B-Hebrew haberim:

1 Samuel 8:18 has puzzled me for years, as it seems
to say that David, a man after God's own heart, was
violating God's command that the priesthood be
limited to the descendants of Aaron and conferring
it to his sons. Even the pointing indicates that
reading.

I don't think this reading is right.

The LXX gives a reading that, from parsing the
word, seems to say that David's sons were in charge
of accounting or something like that.

Are there any variant readings that would indicate
a different meaning?

Could a different set of dots give the meaning that
David's sons became as those in charge of the
resources, i.e. accounting the wealth of the booty
and country?

Any thoughts?