b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] : CV syllables, was music in Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] : CV syllables, was music in Hebrew
  • Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 08:35:13 -0800 (PST)

Bryant J. Williams III wrote, inter alia:

"... but Arabic is too late
to be of any help in discerning the workings of the Hebrew language"...

This statement does not to take into account that classical Arabic, though
attested in writing only in the 7th century CE, has retained many features of
an early Semitic language that eventually evolved into various branches ;
this early linguistic ancestor is known as Proto - Semitic.

Just two examples which I may have mentioned on this list before:

Fem. Single endings in biblical Heb. lost its 'T', but this letter
exists in declensions -- Dodah - Dodati etc.

The so called L"H verbs in biblical Heb. actually had 'Y" as the final
consonant, as can be seen in most conjugations of such verbs. This can be
easily observed in similar verbs in Arabic.

Arabic is essential for a full understanding of various features of
Hebrew.

Uri