b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] CV syllables, was music in Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • To: "Yitzhak Sapir" <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] CV syllables, was music in Hebrew
  • Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 23:36:01 -0800

Dear Yitzhak and Karl,

I would appreciate if you both would stick to the subject matter at hand, and
STOP, the other remarks. It is unprofessional, unscholarly, and lacks
integrity
on both parties. If you disagree with what one is saying about CV endings
versus
CVC endings, then show the progression/evidence in a way that even a
kindergartener can understand it (Remember KISS - Keep It Simple Stu...). If
one
is not able to show the progression/evidence, but can only give conjecture
with
the use of "may," "might," "could have," etc., then so be it and leave it at
that. But, at this time, it appears that both are talking past one another.

Peter may correct me if I am wrong, but all we have is the Hebrew text. Using
cognate languages can help in guiding us to a conclusion, but Arabic is too
late
to be of any help in discerning the workings of the Hebrew language. Aramaic,
Ugaritic, etc., are closer and can be more useful. Furthermore, trying to date
portions of the Hebrew text based on pre-conceived notions as to when a text
was
written is clearly asking for trouble. Now, I do agree that, in general, the
Pentateuch was written before the prophets and almost all of the Psalms. Yet
is
clear that some portions of the Tanakh was written at different times. It is
also clear that some editing did go on. But it is clear that we are
speculating
at exact times. The evidence cannot be any more exact unless the text clearly
states the times.

So, PLEASE, REFRAIN FROM PERSONAL, OR EVEN, HINTING, OF ATTACKS UPON one's
character, person, education, et cetera. I do believe that they are not
allowed
according to this lists protocol's. Otherwise, agree to disagree and MOVE ON.

If I have overstepped the limits of this thread and list protocol, since I am
not a moderator, then I ask your forgiveness. That was surely not my intent.

Thank You En Xristwi,

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III