b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 2 Samuel 21:19 - slew the brother of Goliath the Gittite

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Read, James C" <K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk>
  • To: "schmuel" <schmuel AT nyc.rr.com>, "b-hebrew-lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 2 Samuel 21:19 - slew the brother of Goliath the Gittite
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 14:18:47 -0000

The hebrew in 2 Samuel does not allow for 'brother of' although there is
nothing to say that
this was not a normal way of speaking at the time of composition.
We quite happily talk about isreal when in fact we are talking about isreal's
descendents.

The chronicler shows many by his style that he employed much research in
resolving ambiguities
in his version of the events in much the same way as luke did.