b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Origins of the definite article of BHebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Herman Meester <crazymulgogi AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Origins of the definite article of BHebrew
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 00:17:21 +0100

That's an interesting, and important, observation.
What do you think, this being the case, are the consequences to the
idea I have that the alifu l-wasl (of the article, stems vii-x, etc.)
of classical Arabic grammar does not represent, unlike the alifu
l-qat` (of stem iv, etc.), any historical hamz?
I.o.w. do you think the original article of Arabic could ever have
been *'al? Rather than just *l- or simply the gemination of C1, as I
believe?
This is something we've been discussing for a long time, without
having heard a well-informed Arabist voice decide the matter so far.
Thanks,
Herman