b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Zech 6:8

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Zech 6:8
  • Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 08:00:18 -0600

Steve Miller wrote:

HH: "To cause me to hear a call for help" might be "to cry out to me."

SM: Why would the angel, who speaks as God, call desperately for Zechariah's
help?

HH: We have told you already that the word does not have to mean "cry for help." It can mean "summon" or "call out to."

HH: You are not consistent with the usage of the verb elsehwhere. I have two other lexicons, which also agree with HALOT, BDB and DCH (Dictionary of Classical Hebrew)..

SM: The qal verb Z`Q always means to cry for help. The niphal always means
to be gathered together for an emergency. The hiphil has 2 meanings: to call
together for an emergency (exactly the active form of the niphal) or to
cause to cry out for help. Where is the inconsistency?

HH: The Hiphil and Niphal can be an authoritative "summon" (Josh 8:16; Judg 4:10, 13; 6:34-35; Judg 18:22; 1 Sam 14:20; 2 Sam 20:4-5). The verb can mean "cry out" without implying a cry for help (1 Sam 28:12; 2 Sam 13:19; 19:4; Jon 3:7). These are all the Hiphils:

Judg. 4:10 where he summoned Zebulun and Naphtali. Ten thousand men followed him, and Deborah also went with him.
Judg. 4:13 Sisera gathered together his nine hundred iron chariots and all the men with him, from Harosheth Haggoyim to the Kishon River.
2Sam. 20:4 ¶ Then the king said to Amasa, “Summon the men of Judah to come to me within three days, and be here yourself.”
2Sam. 20:5 But when Amasa went to summon Judah, he took longer than the time the king had set for him.
Jonah 3:7 Then he issued a proclamation in Nineveh: ¶ “By the decree of the king and his nobles: ¶ Do not let any man or beast, herd or flock, taste anything; do not let them eat or drink.
Zech. 6:8 ¶ Then he called to me, “Look, those going toward the north country have given my Spirit rest in the land of the north.”
Job 35:9 “Men cry out under a load of oppression; they plead for relief from the arm of the powerful.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard