b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Zech 6:8

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Herman Meester <crazymulgogi AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Zech 6:8
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 18:13:35 +0100

Thanks David for these titles;
Of course, I only object to the use of words like accusative etc.
because they are categories that designate usually case ending in
Greek, Latin and German, for example, and are independent of things
like object, subject, etc.
For example, in one semitic language I know of, the nominal predicate
in a verbal clause (for example "Xsubj was Ypred") has the accusative!
Which in Greek, Latin, etc. would be unthinkable.
So because of that reason I think descriptive grammars shouldn't
import stuff we don't need. For example, we could say that there's a
"dative" in a word like לכם lakhem, because it often functions in a
similar way as "you" in "we told you". But there is no dative at all,
there's just ל L and a suffix כם KM. In theory there would be a
genitive, because in some other Semitic languages all prepositions
have what is called a genitive.
Yours,
Herman